It all happened in the country
In a little country town
The country folks and farmers gathered all around
They gave a country "howdy" to a little country boy
Mama's little angel
Heaven's pride and joy
How did we end up participating in the church musical? (I still keep asking myself this question...)There was a church dinner and meeting one Sunday evening in early October, and, after the meal, there were activities for the kids to do while the adults listened. Our kids got to sing along as the adults played the songs for the kids musical. That evening, on the way home, Jon and Maddie said they wanted to sing in the musical. That is how we began taking them to the church every Sunday evening for choir practice.
A few weeks later, Tony Black (a friend who was directing the musical) told me Jon needed to come to practice the next Wednesday. Confused, I asked why and learned that Jon volunteered to do one of the speaking parts. He listened to the CD daily to learn some of the boys' lines, then Wednesday he went to do some of the readings. As he was in there, Ben got excited and asked if they got to use accents (Ben REALLY liked doing the country-boy accent). When he learned he, too, could try out for the play AND do it with an accent, Ben was more than happy to try for a part. Once those two were in the room reading lines with others, Maddie was brave enough to try, too. Will and I sat in the hall and waited.
There were four main kid characters, two adult characters, and two narrators. Ben was cast as the country boy, Luther; Jon was the city boy, Daniel; Maddie was one of the narrators. Suddenly, our kids were almost half the cast and I spent the next two months trying to keep everyone healthy so they wouldn't end up sharing the flu the night of the musical. Somewhere along the many weeks of practice, I ended up being a stage helper, substitute director, and even working the lights and audio when they needed me to. Will heard his siblings practicing so often that he knew every line of the entire musical, so he started practicing with Ben, Maddie, and Jon so they could learn when they delivered their lines.
![]() |
| Country kids Cora May and Luther |
![]() |
| City kids Chelsea and Daniel |
![]() |
| City kids, country kids, and narrators |
Nana and Papa were able to come see the show, but they couldn't stay long since they had to work the next day. I took the Kaiser thespians to the after-show party while Will and Allen had dinner with Shelley and Randy. It was a fun, FUN night, but... I admit....I am glad the long hours of practice are over now.













No comments:
Post a Comment