Thursday, February 14, 2008

Vichyssoise Recipe

Leeks were the veggie this week and I made a tasty soup. I started by reading lots of different recipes for vichyssoise, then I just made up my own recipe based on those. This was very yummy and not much trouble. The proper French pronunciation is "vee shee swahzz".


6 small potatoes, wash, peel & dice
1/2 medium onion, sliced very thin
3 large leeks, discard tough outer leaves and dark green tops, slice lengthwise the white & light green parts
4 tbsp. butter
8 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup dry instant rice cereal for babies (I used this to thicken it a little bit)
2 cups cream
kosher salt & pepper


Melt the butter in the bottom of a big soup pot, the sweat the onions in it. After they are mostly clear, add the leeks. Sweat the leeks with the onions for about 3 minutes or until they are softened, then add the diced potatoes. Season the veggies with salt and pepper and cook for about 3 more minutes. Add the broth and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the veggies are all very soft. Puree soup in a blender and pour it all back into the pot. Stir in the cream. I tasted and added a little more salt and pepper. I also added a little bit of the rice cereal because I wanted the soup thicker. This soup is great served hot or cold, but traditionally, it is served cold.

Enjoy!! What veggie will be next? Any ideas?

No comments: