When I signed Will up for preschool, I filled out lots of forms -- emergency contact forms, medical forms, and forms with other various info. On one form, it specifically asked if there was anything in particular teachers should or should not do with the child. I couldn't think of any special treatment Will required, but I did write down that I didn't want the adults doting on the triplets if they happened to be around. I wanted preschool to be Will's . . . somewhere he didn't have to compete with our babies for attention. Somewhere he was special because he was Will, not because he had triplets.
Last June I took all 4 kids to Lowe's. I pushed the babies in a double stroller and Will walked with me. As we walked around people started noticing that there were 3 babies and started oohing and aahing over the babies. "How old are they?" I'd answer "He is 3, the others are 7 months." I always start with Will, because usually people don't notice him & I don't want him to think that I forget. It breaks my heart, but usually he seems okay with it. The only time he has ever mentioned it was that day. When we got in the car Will asked "Mama? I was in your tummy, too, wasn't I?" "Yes, babe, you were.""Why does everyone love the babies and not me?" Wow. Here it is NINE months later and I remember every bit of how hurt I felt for him & I still get teary. I didn't have a good answer and I still don't. I just do my best to make sure he gets his share of love when I can control it.
So back to today. . . Will told me that other moms go to the class parties and he asked if I would come to the Valentine party. I told him I could but I'd have the kids with me. He still wanted me there. So I loaded up the triplets in the circus train and went in. I was able to park them with milk and graham crackers away from the other kids. I sat near Will and he chatted with his friends. It warmed my heart to hear this. . .
"Brandon, did you see haw pretty my sister is? Isn't she a cutie?" (I don't think he was setting up future romances, just pointing out his cute babies.)
"Taylor, I have triplets today. You can look, but don't touch them."
"Ella, come see my babies"
"Joshua, look! That's my brother Ben. He laughs if you make funny faces. Wanna see?"
"Jaxen, come here. I have two brothers and one sister."
"Lilly and Ben, we have THREE babies! Aren't they sweet?"
I think he pointed them out to every kid in his class. It was a challenge keeping the other kids from touching the wagon or getting too close, but Will made sure his friends kept to themselves. All that trouble to make sure I don't point out that they are triplets, and he goes and does that. I am so happy that he is so proud to be thier brother. It definitely warms my heart.
1 comment:
Oh, bless his little heart! And yours too, triplets, wow!
Post a Comment