We had a great Memorial Day. Although it was supposed to be a holiday, Allen had to work part of the day. When he got home, the kids were all napping, so he took a nap, too. When he woke up, he an I made some tasty onion rings for dinner; we had never attempted this & we were quite impressed with the results. We fixed the rest as the kids started waking up: grilled hot dogs (yes, the healthy kind) and watermelon.
This was the first meal the little ones have eaten at a table (rather than a high chair, booster seat, or lap). Allen and I spent quite a bit of time reseating the babies, but overall, they did pretty well. It was a little bit funny that they had a community meal and each of them reached far for food (from a sibling) rather than eating what was right in front of them. The watermelon was a hit. Will has been asking for watermelon for about 6 months, and Allen finally bought one. Will was thrilled, but for the babies, it was a first. Ben liked it, but couldn't seem to master the big wedge. He did better with the bite-sized pieces. Jon nibbled for a bit, but kept putting it on the porch and pushing it like a truck, so I took it away before he ate it with doggie germs or worm juice. Maddie -- well, she was a hoot. She wouldn't let go until it was gone & then she got mad when I took away the rind. She was so focused that when she fell backward off the picnic bench, her shoulder protected her head from the concrete, and when I expected her to wail, she kept on eating the melon in her mouth -- she never let it go or come out of her mouth, even while she toppled over.
After the kids were sticky and pink with fruit juice, we stuck them in the "pool." The POOL is the inflatable splash pad I got at WalMart last week that we have all enjoyed (so far). Jon doesn't usually like crawling in the grass, but I got a video of his crab walk. His knees never touch the grass as he excitedly scurries to the pool. Last week, he walked across half the living room with out holding anything, so I know he'll eventually walk. The kids and Allen & I played in the water until one was super cranky, one was laying on the pool side like a pillow, one rubbed his eyes, and one was sucking fingers. We scooped them all up, dried them, dressed them, and tucked them all in. Allen and I cleaned up the kitchen and yard and had a relaxing evening.


3 comments:
Sounds like you had a nice weekend! Cute photos.
Hi Sarah,
Thank you for allowing Shelley to share your blog with me. I have enjoyed reading and looking at your pictures. Your kids are so adorable and you do a great job at ending up expressing your delight in your family even in the midst of trying times.
I also have a blog, but I don't keep up with it as well as you do. My posts are kind of hit or miss.
My blog is http/lovedandengraved.blogspot.com
Karen Mensch (from Pat Murray's Office)
We need a pic of the camerawoman!
Post a Comment