Saturday, May 31, 2008

Now He Googles

The other night I went to a meeting at the church. The next morning Will told me he saw a movie on how to make animal crackers. He went on to explain every detail of mixing the dough, rolling it out, using animal-shaped cutters, putting them on a pan, then baking them. He also told me he saw a movie about making pans. I assumed he watched Discover Channel's How It's Made with Allen while I was gone.

Will enjoys playing computer games, although we have a few on our hard drive for him, he loves the PBS kids, Nick Jr., and Disney Kids websites. We have the computer set up so he can just click an icon to get to those sites. However, we are now aware we need to set up more precautions: he has learned how to Google. I watched him later in the day, pull out his ocean animal workbook and copy the letters of "Octopus" in to Google. Although it was accidently typed "O-C-O-P-U-S," it was clear to me that he paid attention when we looked up animals on the internet. And actually when you misspell it, it still brings up octopus pictures and asks if you meant to spell it with a T.

Yesterday, Will excitedly yelled that he found the Animal Crackers video "Come see it!!" I went to the computer and, sure enough, there was the video on the Williams-Sonoma website. How did he get to it? Google "W-I-L-L" and it is the site that comes up first on our computer -- probably because I go to that site often. He reads well enough to click on the menu called KIDS and there was the movie. So here it is, go see how you, too, can make animal crackers.

I got a kick out of Will's version of another incident from yesterday. When we were outside he found a 7-inch (or so) earthworm sqirming across the porch. While I was dealing with Shadow, Will asked me if he could look at it and I said, "of course."
"But Mama, can I touch it?"
"Yup. Just wash your hands before we go inside."
"Can I pick it up?"
"If you really want to, you can."
"OOOOH, look at THIS!" That kept him busy for awhile.
"Mama, how can we take this to Granddad's? It will be good for fishing."
"We won't"
"But why?"
"We can't get it there."
"It can ride in the car with me."
"I don't want to take it in the car."
"Can we mail it to him?"
"No. It needs to stay here in our dirt."
"Oh."

The funny part was listening to him tell Granddad on the phone, "Yeah. . . I found a big worm today. . . we can't bring it Mama said . . . it was really, really cute. . . I named him Bait." I had to leave the room to laugh about that one. Can you imagine a worm named Bait?

No comments: