Tuesday, December 2, 2008

High FIVE!

Happy birthday to Will, Happy birthday to Will, Happy birthday dear Will, Happy birthday to you! It is so hard to believe that Will has been part of our dreamy little world for FIVE years! Time really does fly and each birthday that passes reminds me of that.

It was a fairly low key birthday for a five year old, but we all had a good time. Monday I made cupcakes with sprinkles and Spiderman paper cups for him to take to preschool today. I had planned on him bringing one of his friends home after school but due to crises with that friend's family, it doesn't look like that will ever happen. I was a bit sad that that didn't work out, but super glad I hadn't told Will about the invitation. He didn't know enough to be disappointed.

This afternoon while all four kids played in the living room, I heard the dog barking like someone was at the door. When I looked out the window, I didn't see anyone, so I assumed the UPS guy left a package. When I opened the door to get the package, there was a little boy barely taller than the door knob asking, "Can Will play?" It was an answer to my prayers regardless of what the birthday boy wished for. Will and Charlie played outside until it was time for Charlie to go home -- they raced across the backyard seeing who could run faster, they scurried up the slide to see who could do that without falling, they tried to get the swings higher, and throw sticks further. The new friendship seems to be competitive, but each time I looked out at the boys, they were being boys, and laughing and having a wonderful time. Over the Thanksgiving weekend, Charlie and his family moved into the house across the street from us. I am excited to have neighbors that I feel like aren't strangers. Charlie's dad is a home builder and he added the room on to our house before we moved in -- I've already trusted our new neighbor with a key to our home -- even if it was a year ago.

Back to the birthday celebrations -- Will was excited to get a phone call from his great-grandparents who insisted I not tell Will they were calling. Somehow Will guessed who it was pretty early into the conversation (which almost got me in trouble for spilling the beans), and he was so animated talking to his great-grandfather Ruffie and Grammie Vail. " . . . oh, Ruffie. You've got to be kidding me. Of course I go to school. You are just so silly. . . "Just a few minutes later, Great-grandma Ann called for him, too. And as we were leaving for dinner, Uncle Jason called, and after we got home he got to talk Nana, too.

Allen and I took the kids to Double Dave's for pizza and pepperoni rolls and met some friends there. It was the first time we gave Will quarters for the games, but we think Double Dave's tastes so much better than Chuck E. Cheese. Hey, if we are gonna fall off the diet-wagon, we might as well make it worth it, right? Will, Chloe, and Anden had fun playing, and after a bit we even let Ben, Maddie, and Jon join the fun, too. Just before we tucked Will into bed, he got to open one gift. He was thrilled to get a digital camera. "Mama and Daddy, this is what I always wanted and I didn't even tell you I wanted it! How did you know?"

The rest of the fun will happen when all the family joins us Saturday for a party for our big boy. And some news about Will, in his own words -- yes, he really told me all of this as I typed.

"My favorite color is orange, why do you ask? I like to play outside and I like to eat and I like to play with my friends and take pictures with my camera. I like to eat all kinds of food -- all the foods that Chinese people eat and the people in the world eat. I like all those foods. My favorite breakfast is oatmeal, hot with coffee cream. My favorite lunch is peanut butter and jelly and grapes. My favorite dinner is gravy with turkey and I like candy for dessert. My favorite book is my Bible stories, and my favorite toy is my new Mickey Mouse camera, but you already knew that. My life is great and my life is wonderful! . . . oh, and I like to be at Disney World."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nana (or is it Nanna or Nnnanannnana?) called after we got back from Double-Daves. Only she and Will know how that conversation went, but from listening to Will's end I don't know how she got a word in edgewise.