I am really getting into the festive spirit now. We have just about all our gifts ready to give, I just need one more evening to finish all the wrapping. The kids and I got the tree up last week, then Saturday I made Christmas cookies, and Sunday I wrapped gifts, what's next?
It was a fun weekend even though we didn't do much. Lately, those are quite enjoyable since we aren't rushing and scurrying, just hanging out enjoying each other. Saturday, Allen watched football while I baked cookies and the kids napped. I made three different types, and got different results for each. The first I made were cookies like Grandma Ruth made. Grandma Ruth lived across the street from me in Pittsburgh when I lived there from birth to 13. She is still there, I'm not. Although I still call her Grandma (and her husband is still Grandpa Bill) she isn't actually a blood relative. As I've been told, she was ready for grandkids before her kids had them, and my parents' families all lived in Texas. So, we called them grandparents, and they treated us like grandkids. The cookies she made are part of my definition of a perfect Christmas. She always gave our family a box of cookies and I've been trying hard to remember what they all were so I could make them for my family. My favorite as a kid were small green Christmas tree cookies with colored sprinkles. I had never made them because I didn't have the cookie press needed to shape the delectable treats, but this year I found a press and with her recipe in hand, I made them. Somehow they didn't turn out as special as I remember hers bring. Mine were too brown around the edges (corrected by the third baking), but the texture wasn't quite right. I'm not sure if she has a secret that made hers so special, but I'm guessing that's part of it. The kids seemed to like them, and I ate more than my share, too. I wonder if they are just a kid's favorite because of the colored sprinkles. . .
The second recipe was based on Alton's Brown's sugar cookie recipe that he magically turned into beautiful chocolate and peppermint pinwheels. Ha! - It didn't work out quite the same for me. The chocolate part was bitter and dry, but the peppermint part was awesome. I have a few ideas for correcting it, but it will have to wait. Never fear, perfect or not, the cookies didn't go to waste.
The third set? Well, it's a wonder we have any left. I used Grandma Ruth's recipe for Hello Dolly cookie bars, and they turned out great. Such a simple recipe -- it's amazing how tasty they turn out. This is a recipe to keep making. (see next entry for recipe)
The thing about the cookies, is I wanted to reproduce the feeling I got when we opened the box of Grandma's cookies. (I know it isn't a healthy relationship to have with sugar, but that's how I feel -- they warm my heart.) There were only a couple of each, but it seems like there were 8 or 10 varieties -- to a kid that was a dream-come-true and I could count on it every year. So I wanted to make a variety, too; the dilemma is that it isn't good to have them here since they get eaten. I told Allen to take them all to work since having them here was messing up my diet. But we got to share them, and that's the fun part (I just wish they had all turned out pretty.) Overall, I haven't gained any weight with the cookies being here, but my weight loss has slowed. I am proud that I've lost 27 pounds in the last two months, and Allen has lost 30! Our goal was 50 pounds together so we are happy with what we've done so far.
As for the rest of the weekend, Allen and I had fun building and driving the GeoTrax trains with the kids. Ben and Maddie dismanteled the tracks as quickly as we built them, but we didn't get too frustrated. In the end, we had hills and mountains, valleys and bridges, and a little city spread out over then entire playroom.
Saturday night, we had a sitter and Allen took me out for a wonderful and romantic dinner. Yes, we splurged more than normal, but it was fun and we had a great time -- just the two of us. I love having a sitter we can depend on and who isn't afraid to put four little kids to bed! She is definitely a Godsend.
Yesterday was Tuesday, my normal blogging day. Since the day was different, I didn't find my time to sit down to post. Will's preschool class had a Christmas show yesterday, and I was so proud of Will fo getting his speaking part perfect. He smiled and said it clearly and loudly, without being over-the-top. "If I had been there, I would have let Jesus sleep in my bed!"
I didn't get any great photos, but I didn't want to sit in the front row with three active toddlers, either. If you can't find Will, look for the blond headed boy with a red shirt. Hehe -- he is in the front row, 7th from the right, just to the right of the table and to the left of a floating piece of paper? I usually blog during naptime, but I was busy working with two travel agents to book part of our anniversary trip. When Allen got home, I was jumping and dancing gleefully and annoyingly, I'm sure. I am so excited, even if I do have eight months to wait. We decided on Greece, and although we haven't planned the first week of it, we did get the cruise booked that will take us to several Greek and Turkish islands.
This afternoon promises to be busy, too. I have thirteen goody bags to assemble for Will's class party tomorrow, I need to get the teacher gifts ribboned, and the gift-exchange book wrapped, too. Somehow I need to get loads of laundry done before the weekend, . . . didn't I just DO the laundry? I'll bet the dishwasher need to be unloaded, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment