Friday, December 19, 2008

You better watch out

You better watch out, You better not cry, Better not pout, I'm telling you why: Santa Claus is coming to town. He's making a list, And checking it twice; Gonna find out who's naughty and nice. Santa Claus is coming to town. He sees you when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good, So be good for goodness sake! Oh, you better watch out! You better not cry. Better not pout,I'm telling you why: Santa Claus is coming to town. Santa Claus is coming to town!

It isn't a song we sing any more often than other Christmas carols, but yesterday made me realize how much Will has picked up on the stories and songs and their meanings.

When I dropped Will off at preschool I told his teacher "Have fun with the party! Don't fill him up with sugar then send him home with me!" I guess she thought I was joking because when I arrived he was polishing off his plate of cookies and cupcakes. PLURAL!!! When we got home, he was coming off the sugar high, and well, I think I understand where Cookie MONSTER got his name. It fits my oldest child, too. Give him lots of sugar, and he acts ugly. I put the little kids down for a nap, and when Will started his tantrums I sent him to rest, too. That set off another round on insanity as he shouted, kicked, and cried uncontrollably. When I sent him to his room again, he slammed the door. I ignored it, so he opened the door and slammed it again. By that time, he earned his spank even though I knew why he was acting out. He finally rested for awhile, just long enough for my headache to cease, but he didn't sleep. When he came out and apologized, I told him he could quietly color while I worked.

I watched as Will concentrated on his drawing. Then he told me the story behind it:

"See this little boy, Mama? It is a little boy who is very naughty. He was mean and grouchy, but now he is sad. See his sad face? Do you know anyone like that, Mama? Look. Right here, I wrote his name. This little boy's name is Will. He is very, very sad because he was naughty so Santa isn't bringing him any presents."
At that point, Will started crying. "Why doesn't Santa bring presents to naughty children? Can I tell him I am sorry and promise to be good from now on?
Then will he bring me toys? I am drawing some of the toys I'd like him to bring for me. Do you think Santa forgives children?"
It was a heart-breaking moment, yet on the edges of my heart were many other feelings, too. I was glad he was sorrowful, and sorry, and starting to connect the dots.

Each "holiday" that his preschool class celebrates, gives me more insight as to why people home-school. I don't think I have the patience to home-school, I am selfish and like time to myself, and I like for my kids to be around other children on a regular basis, too. And I know my reader-friends who home-school are saying ". . . but . . ." right now, but for me it probably won't happen. Allen and I had a discussion about it last night. I am frustrated that I send him to a good Christian-based preschool at a baptist church, but yesterday was Polar Express pajama day. That meant the kids went in PJ's, got tickets for the "train", and watched Polar Express for an hour-and-a-half, then got a bell to remember the fun. When Will got home, he told me I could only hear the bell if I believe in Santa. This is a Christian preschool, why aren't they spending that time watching a Jesus movie and talking about believing in Jesus? I am not anti-Santa, in fact, I love Santa, I just feel like the priorities at the school were skewed. And further, I am miffed that each holiday that comes means filling these little kids up with too much junk food. . . . and lets not even start with how I feel about rewarding the kids with gum and lollipops on a regular basis. It seems to be a norm in schools now, not just at this one.

Ok -- that's my piece. I am nervous about sending my kids to any school, then I don't have control anymore over what goes into their bodies and minds. That's what you home-schoolers already figured out, huh? No, I probably won't officially start homeschooling, but I will consider not taking them to school on the party days. We'll see what actually happens.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was a boy, our parties at school involved potted-meat food product sandwiches. On white bread. This was thing I *looked forward to*.

True story.

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten about that :-)
One way to control the party snacks is to join with like-minded mothers and volunteer to provide the snacks, perhaps on a rotating basis. You can take apple slices, carrot sticks, cheese sticks etc. Its a chore, but the offset is one less cranky afternoon.
Allen's Mom

Karen M said...

Sarah--
I homeschooled for 3 1/2 years. I am glad I did it. I always made the decision for each year and never made any permanent decision. I'd love to talk with you sometime. The next time you are at Allen's parents, ask your MIL for my number and perhaps we could get together.