Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Overnight

I took this photo of the little birdies yesterday morning around 8:00 am (4/18).

I took another photo this morning around the same time. I am amazed at the changes that seem to have happened overnight. No more pink. No more see-through skin. They are getting big fast, and look at the little feathers sprouting on their wings.

We have also chosen names for the other adult birds who are becoming part of our family. The mockingbirds are Tex (male) and Polly (female). We aren't able to tell them apart usually, but Polly is the one who sits on the nest. The scientific name for the Northern Mockingbird is Mimus Polyglottos, hence the name Polly. Because the mockingbird is the state bird of Texas, we chose Tex.

We learned that house finches used to be called Hollywood Finches, and they were sold as caged pets because they had such a pretty song. The female is named Holly. Their scientific name is Carpodacus mexicanus, so we call the male Carpo. So far, I am not nearly as attached to Polly, Tex, Holly, or Carpo as I am to Sialia and Silas and their family. It will be interesting to see if I grow fonder as I get to know them or if there is just something more magical about the bluebirds of happiness.

1 comment:

Emerson and Cassandra said...

That is so cool. I've never seen new baby birds up close. What a neat experience for you and your kids!