Last night, Will wanted to play a game. I got out one that I had bought last May -- it is the 3-letter word game (basically it is 3 flashcards that each have a letter, and the backgrounds go together like a puzzle to make a picture of the word). He had fun assembling the puzzles and telling a story about the words. "BOY!" "BOY meets CAT", "BOY meets CAT and BEE", "BOY meets CAT and BEE with a PIE" He made up the part of the game of remebering the order and telling a story. I think he got up to 8 words before he asked me to help remember the order. I was impressed. He soon grew tired of that, so I spiced it up a little by mixing up the letters to make words that were not on the pictures -- just trying to get him to sound out the words. Allen and I shrieked, "WOW!!" when he started reading the words. Will was bashful about the applause at first, but then he got excited, then he got silly and that was the end of that game. He read DOT, DIG, BIG, DOG, and a few others. He was excited to tell Granddad he could read -- Granddad sounds out words with him every time they see each other.
Today, I decided to have fun with my kids. I've been a bit blue about being home all the time (yes, I know it's only been a week), and somedays I forget to TRY to have fun. I had been reading an article in Wonder Time magazine (see note at end) about kids and art -- they talked about kids coloring at 12 months, and I forgot that I had done that with Will starting around 9 months. I don't think the trio has really gotten to experience Crayons, so I decided today would be the day to play with colors. After I cleaned up thier lunch, Will sat at the table with crayons, scissors, and papers, and Jon, Ben & Maddie were in the high chairs. I dug all the fat washable crayons from the tin, and gave them each 2 colors and a sheet of paper. I held a crayon in their hands and colored to show them how it worked. Wheee!!! What fun! About two minutes later I confiscated Ben's supply of crayons -- they were soaked, and his teeth were green and purple. The unfortunate thing about washable crayons is that they turn paint-like when they are wet. So Jon's were soon taken away since he had sucked on then smeared on the blue. Maddie was doing great banging the end of a red crayon on the highchair tray. The orange made it to the paper. So then the boys had fun crinkling the paper. Then they were ready to get down. I believe it took me longer to get them cleaned up from CRAYONS than from lunch. Will had fun cutting paper into confetti and trying to draw "2".
After we cleaned up the crayons and paper, we moved to the floor and made music. Our band include Jon using spoons to play the xylophone, Maddie banging on a drum, Ben clapping, Will marching and playing maracas, and Mama conducting, singing, and encouraging the others. Will decided we couldn't be a band unless we had hats. Jon wore the policeman hat for one second then threw it, Maddie wore the santa hat until Jon pulled the white ball and the end and threw it, and Ben held a sailor hat on his head and screamed happily. Will changed hat about 4 times during one song. We had a good time. Jon threw most of the hats. Now the living room is a mess, but the kids are all napping. I should fold laundry, but then Allen might pass out when he got home. I can't wait to see what is in store for the rest of the day.
WonderTime is a magazine I picked up one day when I was traveling and needed something to read. Over the holidays I spent enought at Amazon that I got a years subscription. I love this magazine! If you have preschool-elementary aged kids, you should check it out. The tagline is "Celebrate your child's love of learning", and it has great ideas for crafts, reading activities, games, dinners, snacks -- you name it. Here is the site: http://wondertime.go.com/
I wish I got a commission from all the companies I advertise . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment