Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Feelin' Creative

The creative bug has avoided me for several months, it seems, but it came back and bit me last week. I have gotten my desk cleared off and completed several scrapbook layouts in the few days. Some of the pages were started awhile ago and have been waiting for me, and some I just came up with when I was riding my crafty wave.

I got to be crafty twice today, too! First when we did our cake decorating class with MOPS, and second when I was making the "fruit tray" for Will's preschool class's Thanksgiving feast. Allen and I worked for a very hard twenty minutes on this beauty (yes, that's really all it took.) My friend Kathie inspired this creation and I can't wait to show her the picture. Here is how we made it. I lopped off a chunk of a honeydew melon to be the body, and I used a curvy squash for the head. I made melon balls of the honeydew and a cantaloupe while Allen cut up a pineapple. Allen used 10-inch wooden skewers to skewer the cut fruit, grapes, and strawberries while I used skewer pieces and toothpicks to hold the squash on the honeydew. Then we poked the fruit kababs into the melon to be the turkey feathers. This was so much fun and I really like how it turned out -- I hope Will likes it, too. The good thing is that if the (now perforated) body doesn't hold all the weight overnight, we have pretty fruit kababs that I can put on a plate and the class will never know the art they missed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really cute! The kids will feel so special!
~Alisa

Homan House said...

Sarah --
That is great -- I am definitely stealing that idea and capturing it for a future date! so cute!

Karen M said...

That is a wonderful idea! It turned out really, really good.