Sunday, November 30, 2008

Turkey Day

I was so worried that Allen might not get a Thanksgiving holiday and I was thrilled when he told me he got Thanksgiving off. Silly me thought that meant Thanksgiving DAY, but I was ready to do back flips when he said he had all weekend to spend with family. Allen came to my parents' on Thursday morning, and we all enjoyed a [mostly] traditional family feast. We had turkey, sweet potatoes, dressing and gravy, cranberry sauce, broccoli salad, and rolls. And since no Thanksgiving is complete without pumpkin pie, we had that, too. I said it was "mostly" traditional because I had this crazy idea to start a weight loss plan in the middle of October. Darn if the dieting ran right through the Halloween candy, the Thanksgiving feast, and then Christmas goodies. I ate very well on Thanksgiving and it could very well have been the first Thanksgiving I didn't overeat. I even saved room for a taste of the yummy pie. I was happy to see that I didn't gain any weight over the weekend;since I was sick most of the week, I didn't get my daily exercise in and I didn't lose any weight either. My goal was to lose 25 pounds before December. After weighing and measuring, I've lost a total of only 22 pounds, but lots of inches. As soon as I get rid of the cold and can do my walking again, I am confident the other three pounds will come off soon, too. The most frustrating part is my pants don't fit and I don't have time to go shopping. Except for this cold, I feel so much healthier now that I am eating nutritious foods and exercising on a regular basis. Usually I start a diet on January 2nd, but this time, I think I've found a better way to keep the holiday pounds off.



Friday afternoon Mom and I went to see Twilight at the theater, and that evening my brother and his family came for the weekend. Saturday was fairly laid back -- I think I slept in, then napped, while the kids seemed to play non-stop. It was a blur since I didn't feel great. Saturday evening we had a family celebration for my niece Julianne's first birthday. Then today Allen and I brought the kids back home. November is over now and it seems like the year just started. I plan to go to bed at a decent hour so I can get a head start on my rest for December -- I'll need as much as I can get.

No comments: