Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Last Ten

It is strange that it is a new year. You'd think after having hit the "new-year" mark more than thirty times, I'd get over the newness of it. But I still don't. It is the time of year I can start fresh, reflect on the past, and figure out how to put the two together to make myself a better person.

We celebrated New Year's Eve by, uh . . . not celebrating. It was any other night except that we were super-brave and gave the kids sparking grape juice to make them bounce off the walls till they drove us to tucking them in. I watched Facebook updates as friends posted that 10 years ago they were waiting to see if computers crashed the world as the Y2K bug was sure to be devastating -- it wasn't. As I tried ignoring the thunder and the firecrackers I thought back over what I've done the last ten years, and it was interesting to look back at the twists and turns life presented me. Scratch the "I" -- it was "WE" all the way, since we've been married ten years and going in the same direction. What have the last ten been like?
  • We lived in our first home in Canyon, TX; we bought our second home in Independence, KS; we lived in another apartment in Texas; and now we are in our third home. That's four different mailing addresses in as many cities.I've worked as a chemical engineer in sales and consulting; worked with Allen on a MLM internet-based business; taught high-school science; worked at a quilt store; and opened a scrapbook store with my friend. I am now a stay-at-home mom, and plan to be for awhile.
  • Allen has been a grad-student, worked as an intern at Sandia National Labs, completed his Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, and worked at two different refineries under five different companies.
  • We have vacationed, visited, or lived in twenty-three states: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Washington, and West Virginia.We have lived in the United States, and visited Costa Rica, Canada, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Turkey, and Greece, with airport stops and passpost stamps in Germany.
  • I have been to Grandma Williams' funeral, but had to miss the funeral of Mema Dobbs since I was very pregnant with triplets.I have been pregnant fifteen months, birthed four precious children, changing diapers for more than six years.
  • I have made countless friends, but lost contact with many. There are still a precious few that I've kept in contact with the last ten years.
  • We have adopted three kittens (Tico, Ramses, and Pickles) a dog (Shadow).
  • We have painted seven rooms and hired someone else to paint another six.
  • I have quilted off-and-on for seven years, gardened off-and-on for ten years, scrapbooked for nine, and read for pleasure for as long as I can remember.I have had three different pairs of glasses (with another on the way), but worn contacts often.
  • I have worn many sizes of jeans from 14 to 4, and that entire range has been worn within the last year and a half.I have witnessed the rising popularity of cell-phones, GPS-use, laptop computers, DVDs, reality television, SUVs, and WalMart.
  • I have gotten caught up in the news when Bush defeated Gore; when I was terrorized from afar on September 11th; when the tsunami washed away thousands of people near the Indian Ocean; when friends were affected by Hurricane Katrina; when my friends, business, and family were affected by the Kansas floods; when my retirement funds were drained by the stock market crashing; and when the first black U.S. president was elected.
We have been blessed beyond measure for the last ten years and more. The trials we've faced have made us stronger, the people (and animals) who have come into our lives have made our hearts grow, the places we have been have expanded our horizons and let us know that we can go wherever we dream as long we are careful with our spending. I am excited to embark on the next leg of our journey -- my husband, my kindergartener, my three toddlers, and me.


No comments: