Wednesday, January 20, 2010

More Precious Than Gold

For some reason -- maybe the engineer or chemist in me, probably the Holy Spirit -- I wanted to know more about gold and refining it and why the fine metals are often compared to our faith. My study Bible listed several scriptural references, but thery all were along the same lines -- comparing the precious metal refining, but not giving me what I was searching for. At the risk of rambling, here are some of my thoughts on these verses:

So be truly glad! There is wonderful joy ahead, even though it is necessary for you to endure many trials for a while. These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world. I Peter 1:6-7, New Living Translation
Gold is highly-sought-after -- everyone wants it in the largest, purest amounts possible, but it isn't passed over if it isn't big enough. Our faith -- anyone's faith -- is more valuable than gold. Although little bits of gold are found in dirt and rocks, it isn't less desirable. Jesus said: " . . . if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, . . . nothing is impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

Like the little bits of gold added together, just little bits of faith can become much more. Gold is also the most malleable and ductile metal. It is moldable and flexible -- it can be pounded, without breaking, so thin that it is translucent . With faith, I, too, can take a lot of stress without breaking. With faith, I am moldable rather than fragile.

For gold to be malleable and ductile, it must be pure. To purify (or refine) gold, heat is applied to melt it so the impurities can be released and washed away. "We should consider trials to be joy" (I Peter 1:6) because like heat melts the gold, the trials stress our faith so the crud can be released.

Pure gold does not oxidize (rust) in air or water, but it maintains its color and luster. I should strive for the pure faith to maintain my beauty and, like gold, we can be perfect and unblemished.

No comments: