We've had a fun few days lately. We didn't too much out of the ordinary, but we've just enjoyed each other. Last Thursday was Jon's day. On Wednesday night, he heard Will talking to me about Barnes & Noble. After the kids had been put to bed, I heard Jon from the top of the dark stairs, "Mama! I want to go to Barts & Oble!" I told him to go back to bed and we would go the next day. Sometime after he mentioned his odd pronunciation of it, I asked if he knew what Barnes & Noble was. "It'th a thtore, Mama," he responded as if he couldn't believe I didn't know that already. "Jon, do you know what they have there?" He replied, "They have coconut trees!" That little guy was thrilled to know more than his mama :) As odd as it sounds, he knows what he is talking about. Although there aren't any coconuts, the parking lot is full of palm trees.
Jon and I had a wonderful time at Barnes & Noble. He had received a gift card at Christmas, so I told him he could pick a book. We sat on the floor and read a lot, he got to pick out a sweet treat, then he picked the book he wanted: an interactive book about things that go (trains, trucks, planes, tractors, etc.) Next we went to get him some new sneakers, then, as he requested, we went home for lunch to eat peanut belly jelly. It was a fun day together!
Saturday was a day for Will and me. He had been working hard to earn a date at Barnes & Noble and he got his chance. He and I left around 10:30 and hit four different used bookstores trying to collect the Magic Treehouse books we didn't already have. We had a nice lunch out and went to B&N. Will picked out Arabian Nights and two more Magic Treehouse books to use his gift card, then we went to Smoothie King for a treat. When we got home mid-afternoon, he had about 14 "new" books, and I had found 9 or 10 used books Allen and I are aiming to read this year. We had a fun day together. I really miss the bi-monthly dates we used to have, but a few every now and then still keep us close.
Sunday wasn't actually a school night this week because Will had Monday off for MLK day. We took the kids to the drive-in theater to see The Princess and the Frog. The little kids have never been to a theater for a movie, so this was a totally new experience. Before the show the Chicken Dance was playing over the speakers, and our van was really shaking with all the dancing inside. I had taught Will how to do the Chicken Dance when we took him to the drive-in in October, so he was teaching the others. After the movie started, Ben kept putting his face on the window so he'd fog it, step back, wipe the window, repeat. We had a great time once the kids stayed in a seat. It was a cute movie, and Maddie, especially, was thrilled to see a princess show.
Monday, a school holiday, was hectic. It started out fine. I even managed to keep the TV off most of the day. The little ones took naps with no trouble, but I didn't get my quiet time because Will was very chatty. . . then hyper. . . then climbing the walls with excess energy. I wasn't feeling great, and I got frustrated rather quickly. The afternoon was chaotic with the kids being rather loud and rambunctious, but we somehow survived it.
Today is the day I normally go to Bible study, but we stayed home. Jon and Ben both have ugly coughs and Maddie wants her share of the attention, too. Two friends of mine have kiddos with RSV right now, so I'm playing it safe and keeping them home. I don't think that's what it is, but I don't want them out and about with germy kids if their immune systems aren't at their best. Today, we've stayed in PJs and spent the morning cuddling.
No comments:
Post a Comment