Eleven Things Learned This Weekend
1. You can get around Denison, TX, by getting to 91 which will lead to back to 75N about 1 mile south of the Red River.
2. A memory-foam pillow will freeze solid (and sound like wood when you knock on it)
3. The ladies at Chasing Rainbows can cook great food (so much for the 5 pounds I lost this month - it's all back)
4. The people who bought our home in Kansas replaced the porch swing we meant to replace when we moved into the house in 2001.
5. When you ask Jon where his nose is, he scruches his nose and puts his hand on it, then sits down and claps.
6. Ben can walk across a room.
7. Maddie missed her Mama.
8. Will had fun at Nana and Papa's.
9. The ladies at the crop this weekend are so creative and inspiring, and they all have such sweet souls.
10. My brother-in-law and future sis-in-law set the wedding date -- Valentine's day 2009 in Mexico.
11. Allen and I decided our next big trip will be for our 10th anniversary next year: Santorini!
Well, maybe it wasn't meant to be, but I DID make it to Kansas.
After the difficulties getting products in for a class I was teaching, Brook saved the day and redesigned the class. Was I still needed? I was still planning to teach the Princess album class, so we'll say, "yes." Thursday night I had a major pain in my side and it was bad enough I was nauseous at times. I debated going to the emergency room, but I didn't end up going. The news reports said the Dallas area would have ice storms Thursday night, so I might not have been able to drive. When I woke up Friday morning, I still felt pretty bad, but after a shower, I felt a little better and decided I didn't want to miss a fun weekend in Kansas -- the roads were not icy. I left my in-laws' heading north on 75. When I got to Denison (just south of the TX-OK border) the highway was closed. I tried finding a way back on it, but several exits were blocked. I think there must have been a hundred emergency vehicles over the several miles of highway that I couldn't drive on, but I couldn't tell what happened. I got off the highway and filled the car with gas, called Jennie to see if she could make it without me if the roads in Oklahoma were bad, called my father-in-law for a road report, asked for directions for getting around the road block, and decided I really wanted to go to Kansas so I'd find a way. I pulled this info from a news report about the accident that was the road block:
Officials say a car traveling north on Highway 75 lost control on the bridge over the rail yard in Denison. The car spun sideways and a Chevrolet pickup hit it. Then two semis collided and hit the pickup. Several cars following behind the semis collided having a multi-car pile up. When the semis were being pulled apart a small fire broke out on the bridge.
Ok. That's a good reason the road was closed. I am glad I didn't know about that until now.
I got to Independence around 2 pm on Friday and stopped by the quilt store to see my dear friends Debbie & Becky. If you haven't checked out Lillie's Classic Quilts in Independence, it is definitely worth a stop. . . .and Better Homes & Gardens agrees! I was so excited to learn that American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine (a BHG publication) has selected Lillie’s Classic Quilts as one of the Top 10 Shops in the nation! The store and Debbie's own quilt design will be featured in Spring 2008 issue of the Quilt Sampler Magazine. I am so HAPPY for her! Then I went over a block and spent the rest of the day at my other home: Chasing Rainbows Scrapbook store.
Oh how I missed that place -- not so much for the building, paper, and scrap supplies, but for the people. It was wonderful to get the smiles and hugs from the gals who work there and the customers who came to play. I have missed all those friends so much. I had a blast laughing my butt off on Friday while we cropped (or pretended to), I wore my legs out climbing the stairs to the ballroom upstairs -- in heels, none the less, and I restocked my own craft supplies. After an exhausting but thoroughly fun weekend, I headed back to Texas to get my hubby and kids from the in-laws. It was a great break for me. Thanks for your hospitality, Amy, I was glad to have a cozy place to crash. And please give me that recipe for the Dorothy Lynch noodle salad.
3 comments:
I'm glad I made it on the list there somewhere.
Sweetie, you may not be on the top of that list, but you are always the top of mine.
Glad you had a safe trip, Sarah. Even though we didn't get a chance to chat much, I'm glad I was able to stop by, shop, and visit with you for a few minutes. You look great, sound great, and your 4 little ones are just adorable! Texas must be agreeing with you all!! Have a good rest of the winter, and maybe come springtime or summer you can make it back to Kansas. Take care! P.S. Sounds like Amy fixed you a great Dorothy Lynch noodle recipe, I'd love the recipe too when she sends it to you. Thanks!!
Kristi Ewing
Post a Comment