by Maddie, age 6 (translated by Mama)
What we're going to learn about is EXPERIMENT.
Ok. Thank you for letting us know.
An experiment means you try somthing new or a scientific
test to try out a theory or to see the effect of something.
And that's it.
Maddie was excited to memorize the spelling of "experiment." The word is printed on a colorful poster about the scientific method that is taped to the back of our bathroom door. (Once I realized the kids soak up all the information on posters in our home, I changed my decorating standards to be more educational than the "Better Homes & Gardens" style I couldn't seem to pull together.) She spelled EXPERIMENT to me many times and asked what it meant. I told her to look it up in the Children's Dictionary that we keep near the kitchen table. She opened the dictionary -- never having been shown how to use it, as far as I know -- and got to the "EXP..." section before asking me how to find the word. I showed her how to find the word, and she read the definition over and over again. She found a notecard, wrote for a while, erased and wrote some more. I found the card after she went out to play.
I am fascinated that she wrote
... not just a definition, but BOTH the definitions.
... not just a list as it was in the dictionary, but a sentence that combined the definitions.
... not just the meanings, but a script for what she planned to tell her class in the morning (real or imagined class, I'm not sure, yet.)
No comments:
Post a Comment