Friday, December 21, 2012

Tending the sick ones

Sunday night, I noticed Jon had a fever, so I made plans to keep him home Monday. Monday came and went, and although he seemed a bit tired all day, he didn't have the fever anymore. When he asked to go back to school Tuesday, I didn't have a problem with him going.

Allen took a vacation day Tuesday so he and I could spend the day together. We did a bit of shopping, went out for gyros, and worked on a play kitchen that was meant to be done by now. Kaleb's mom volunteered to pick up Kaleb and Will and let them play so Allen and I could have a bit more time together. Early in the afternoon, she called to tell us Will had a headache and felt warm. Sure enough, he had a fever, so I emailed his school that he would be home Wednesday.

When I picked up the younger kids from school, Jon jumped in the car griping at me that I "made" him go to school when he still had a cough. Evidently he coughed all day and it made his tummy and head hurt. I'm not sure why he didn't ask the school to call me, but that night he had a fever again, so I kept him home Wednesday, too.

Wednesday, Allen took Kaleb, Ben, and Maddie to school, and I stayed home with Jon and Will who ran fevers all day long. It turned into a Christmas movie marathon, but neither felt like doing much by laying down. They didn't even eat much, and getting them to drink fluids was tough.

Thursday, we added Maddie to the crew. She had a fever and sore throat, but she seemed to have her normal amount of energy. Jon and Will had coughs that had me doing many breathing treatments, and I think I finally found something to help them feel better. By bedtime, Jon and Maddie were begging to go back to school and both had decent temperatures all day. Will would have to miss a third day of school because they are supposed to be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to school. He did have enough energy to work on some school work, but I'm thankful all his teachers were more concerned about getting him healthy than about doing work.

This morning (Friday), I checked on Maddie and Jon. Both were still anxious to get back to school. I didn't bother waking Will, and Ben was coughing -- the bad kind of cough. I checked Ben's temperature, and since he had a fever, I kept him home with Will. Both boys were upset to miss the last day of school. Will would be missing a pizza party with his classmates; Ben would be missing his class Christmas party. I emailed their teachers, and Ben's promised to send home his treats. I promised Will a pizza party. Here it is Friday afternoon. Ben, Will, and I enjoyed little pizzas for lunch, the boys watched Star Wars and a few cartoons while I paid bills. I am REALLY hoping everyone is healthy for Christmas!

No comments: