Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Fennel soup & other Veggie Tales

In an effort to expand my and my family's horizons as far as veggies go, we have challenged ourselves to try new veggies (or new ways of preparing them) about once a week. We've only been doing this a few weeks, but we have had brussel sprouts, rutabaga, eggplant, sweet potatoes (sans marshmallows), and last night was fennel bulb. We have really enjoyed most of them, but the fennel was a huge hit! I made a soup based on several recipes I found. There is something pretty cute about a four year old shutting his eyes, lifting his eyebrows, and wafting the aroma of the soup toward his nose. After several bites, Will said, "Wow, Mama, this is DEEE-licious!" Here is my recipe:

1 fennel bulb (include stalk & leaves) - chop all parts, but discard any dark or soggy spots
1 large can chicken broth (49 oz.)
1 small onion - diced
kosher salt & pepper to taste
3 medium potatoes sliced (not necessary, but I had some I needed to use)

Saute the onion in soup pot with a little bit of olive oil. Add broth, fennel, potatoes, salt & pepper. Cook until potatoes are done and fennel is tender (not mushy). Mine took about 20 minutes.

This was delicious & delightful!! I can't fully explain the flavor of the fennel soup. It was a touch of sweet and little bit of a liquorice taste (if you don't like licorice, give this veggie a chance -- that is my best way to describe it). The chicken stock and onion were a perfect complement. So beautiful together! I went grocery shopping after dinner and when I came home, the smell in the house was awesome. I wish they made a potpourri like that. Allen picked this veggie --thanks for the idea, Babe!

The other veggies that our family loved were rutabaga (peel, cube and boil like you are going to make mashed potatoes, pour out the water when they are done, add a pinch of salt & a sprinkle of sugar, then mash,) sweet potatoes (boil & mash with a pinch of salt, brown sugar, and a handful of walnuts), and eggplant (slice, spritzed with sesame vinaigrette, baked until tender.) If you have a good eggplant recipe, please share it. What will be next? I'll take suggestions. There are so many to try.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A winner is me! Leeks next? Or too close to fennel?

Sarah and the rest of the family said...

mmmmm. . . .I love vichyssoise. Sure, we'll do leeks next. I'll post the recipe if it turns out tasty!