Will was involved in Drama Kids this spring. One of the parents at his school arranged for a Drama Kids teacher to come to his school one afternoon a week and work with the kids. Overall, it was a good experience for Will. He really seemed to LOVE being on stage, but he won't admit to it. Usually, when a group only meets for a semester, the teacher does not do a full play with them, but this group of kids is used to working as a team and also a bit more comfortable than most speaking to crowds, so she decided to try it. I am so glad she did! These kids did a great job on this play about some sailors stealing loot from the pirates. All of the kids could be heard from the audience even without microphones.
Our buccaneer did seem to find a little trouble on occasion. At the beginning of practicing the play, he refused to learn his lines. Allen and I had him practicing daily for a long time, and he somehow learned the entire script (all the parts, not just his own.) In class, the teacher noticed because he would often remind others of their lines. At the end of the production I was telling Will what a great job he did, and he boasted that he added a few lines. I was confused and asked him about it. He claimed that some people were too slow with their lines so he said them instead.... arg! I hope that next year he is a bit more patient with his peers if he participates. I'm not going to push him to do it again, but his eyes really did sparkle when he was on that stage. I'm fairly certain he loved it!
No comments:
Post a Comment