Sunday, June 23, 2013

While Mama was Away - The First Week

The Friday before I left for Africa, I took the kids to my parents after we finished a full week of vacation Bible school at our church. Allen and I had a day and a half of a little bit of together time that we filled. Friday evening, we went to the Brown's to play board games, then Saturday morning, we spent two hours cleaning up branches, brush, and trash with about twenty neighbors. Sunday, Allen took Justin, Ellen, and me to the airport in Houston. I was thankful for the few extra hours with him.

Meanwhile, the kids were well into the fun at Gramma and Granddad's. We jokingly call it Camp Grandparents anytime they go. The week was packed with lots of swimming, canoeing, campfire cookouts, catching lightning bugs, fishing, water balloon fights, and hiking. Some of the new things they got to try included trapping (and releasing) a raccoon, hunting dino tacks at Dinosaur State Park, hunting fossils not far from my parents' home, and weaving potholders. Here are some pictures my parents took from the first week. (In no particular order... since I'm not sure the real order.)

At the end of the week, Granddad took Maddie to Ft. Worth where they picked up Julianne. Before they headed back to Waco, the girls got their own Dr. Pepper at lunch (a BIG deal for my kids), tried hiding in a deer "costume", and then got to shoot a BB gun at Cabela's. My girl had fun and was really proud that she hit the target 3 of the 5 times she tried. Back at the homefront, Gramma spoiled the boys a bit with a Coke and more swimming.
Saturday, Allen went to Waco to spend the day with kids and come back home with Will... for the next adventure!

No comments: