Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"Can I just say one thing?"

Story of yesterday that kept me up late laughing. . .

The triplets and I picked Will up from school. Although he was upset about me getting him early again, he was pleasant on the way home. He kindly held Jon's and Maddie's hand as they walked from the driveway to the porch and then inside the house. When I asked the kids to take off their shoes and put them away, Will took his off and put them in the closet. Then, with Maddie, Ben, and Jon sitting on the bottom step next to the closet, Will leaned over and sweetly helped each of them doff the socks and shoes AND he put them in the closet for them (yes, the little ones do this on their own, too.) I was smitten by the sight, (yet still ready to rush them all to naps so I could get one, too.)

Will: . . . Here. I will take your shoes off Maddie. See? This is how we take off socks. Good girl!
Me: Thank you for being so helpful, Will! I really appreciate you doing that. You should be proud of yourself.
Will: Mama, can I just say one thing?
Me: Sure, hon. What is it?
Will: IDIOT!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As partial explanation - as Will increases his vocabulary he'll try out new words on us... and it's obvious that he doesn't fully understand their meaning when he uses them. He lears a lot by context - seeing when words are used by whom and in what setting.

Somewhere recently he learned "idiot" and was apparently trying it out on Sarah to see what it might mean. The funny part of the story is that it was such a non-sequitor and totally conflicted with his (to that point) sweet demeanor that it totally threw Sarah for a loop.

Thus the humor.