Monday, September 15, 2008

Tales of the Crib'd

To end a rainy, yet relaxing weekend, our family set out on a walk last night. Everyone walked -- we held hands to cross the street and walk for a while until we reached the greenbelt, then we let all the kids just go. They ran, they jumped, they stopped and picked up "rrrrrwoks," pinecones, sticks, and leaves. They had a lot of fun just being curious little kiddos. When we got the playground area in our neighborhood, they explored and played with the stones. Somewhere along the way, Ben relieved his bowels then immediately stripped his diaper from his bottom. It happened so quickly, I didn't notice anything but the mess -- he took the diaper off without removing his clothes, so there was a big mess. We immediately headed home, and got him cleaned up and everyone in bed. Next time, I will at least bring a trash bag so I don't have to carry the mess home.

I would have skipped right over that episode, but it fit so well with what happened this afternoon and I had to have enough reasons to justify the Crypt zombie image. Today, the weather is gorgeous. I've had the windows open all day, but this morning was a bit cool. No problem for me, that somehow calms me. The little ones were fussy this morning, yet I seemed to have an unending pot of patience to serve. This afternoon is another story. When the triplets started yelling for me to come get them out of their cribs after a nap, I went to change them and let the play. Thank goodness the window was spend and letting in a bit of a breeze, because the smell . . .if you've read this blog before, you can guess.

For some crazy reason, Jon took off his onesie, took off his pants, took off his wet diaper and must have sat for a long time shredding it. What possesses a child to do this? Then he emptied his bowels and stepped in it, wiped his hands through it and smeared it on the side of the tent, on the sheets, blankets, and toys in the crib. When I got him out (VERY carefully) I didn't know how to clean him up. Is it wrong to stick a kid in the toilet and flush a few times just to rinse him off? I didn't actually do that, but I seriously considered it. I finally got him bathed and dressed, and came back to the nursery to see Maddie and Ben working on an escape plan. The princess rascal can reach the zipper of Ben's tent and sometimes raises it just enough for him to grab it and pull it open. This morning, Ben's tent was entirely open, so I rezipped it and asked him how he did that. He proudly reached through the little hole he dug in the mesh, reached the zipper, and unzipped. Tonight we will search for patches at Walmart to repair the tents. I don't know how much longer they will keep the boys in their beds, but I am not ready for them to be lose in the house yet. (Photo on left edited to keep readers from becoming nonreaders.)

Those are my only horror stories for today at this point. I am happy to announce that Jon's tent wiped clean very easily. Unfortunately, now I need to go deal with the rest of the mess. The worst part wasn't even the poo, but the stupid little pieces of diaper lint that got shredded.

No comments: