Saturday, September 20, 2008

Photo Challenge: CHANGING SEASONS

It is Photo Challenge time again and the theme this week is Changing Seasons. As I mentioned before, I use the challenges, not necessarily to take new pictures, but to have fun going through my older ones.

Changing seasons. . . I have always loved this time of year -- the "in-between" season, not quite summer, not yet fall. If only I was able to I would bottle the smells of September with the freshly-mowed grass from summer mixing with the crunchy, colorful leaves of fall, the morning dew, and all of it so much fresher just because the air is crisp. I can't decide whether to light the berry-scented candles or go with the cinnamon scents, so I often light both and that adds another unique autumn-scent to our environment. For my "obvious" picture, here is one I took a few weeks ago on our trip to New England. There were some leaves starting to change for fall, but we were there at the end of summer, so we enjoyed the colors of the wildflowers, too.

Another change of seasons for our family is represented in this photo.

Know what that is? That is MY view of my tummy when I was 4 - yes, FOUR - months pregnant with the triplets. Allen insisted my feet were attached, but I never saw any proof. The seasons were changing then, all right. We were on our way from being a family of 3 to doubling that to 6. Will was on his way from being an only child to being a big brother. Many events happened just before I delivered the babies that represented change of season, but the most difficult was that my grandmother passed away. Because I had such a high-risk pregnancy, I couldn't travel, I couldn't see her that one last time, I couldn't be at the funeral. And just like seasons, . . . one left as another came to be.

This time of year, I sleep well and have a little more bounce to my step. I enjoy the lazy weekends when I can grab a book and cuddle with my family. I am excited to see the apples, squashes, and pumpkins taking over the produce section. I like to watch the leaves change color and float to the ground when the breeze catches them.

For now, I take pleasure in the little things of this "in-between" season: delighting in nature's symphony of scents, sights, and flavors; cherishing the memories I have of loved ones; and experiencing the joy of family.

8 comments:

Donna said...

Oh My Goodness!! I love your seasons!! Well done sweetie!!hughugs

Brenda said...

Your Changing Seasons challenge photos are so precious Miz Sarah, love em!

Tabitha said...

Lovely photos!!
love and hugs XXXXX

Brenda said...

Popped in to answer your question about cypress trees. They grow in the water and along the banks of lakes, bayous, and swamps. I have a hybrid cypress growing in my yard that isn't a water cypress.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Arija said...

I love your post, the lovely autumn leaves and the absolute change of season with 3 little on on the way! Congratulations on coping!

Aja Jenise said...

Hey girl!! I am sooo FREAKIN mad!! I am driving to Cali in the morning for two weeks. I will not be here for SCRAP PINK!! I am thoroughly pissed I will be missing you. OKAY- cancal vacay! Uh no, maybe we can rescehdule a gab session another time!! Miss you girl!

Aja Jenise said...

okay chick i am all ready to drive to cali... i spent like 8 hours getting ready last night... and i just got sick over the thought of leaving. call it divine inspiration... I have official realized I cannot do it! so maybe I will see you after all!

Nita Jo said...

I love the changing leaves. Such a colorful photo. The one of your tummy... oh my! My friend had twins and at birth they were both about 7 lbs. She hadn't seen her feet in a while either.

Sad about not being able to see your Grandmother before she passed. I'm glad you're able to take pleasure in your memories.