Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dagnabit

Yesterday, Will was watching the Backyardigans on TV while I was feeding the babies breakfast. One of the characters said "dagnabit" a few times and each time Will got an odd look on his face. During the next commercial he asked, "Mama? What is 'dagnabit'?" I answered that it was just an expression kind of like "darn" or "ah, shucks!" He seemed content with my answer and went back to watching the show. I think the character must have said it again, because I kept hearing it. After the show was over, Will came to me and asked me, having thought about the issue quite seriously, "Mama, why do they say 'dagnabit' when they really mean to say 'dammit'?" I took a deep breath so I wouldn't laugh and said, "Honey, I'm sure their mamas told them not to talk like that."

Also this week, we had another new vocabulary word for Jon, and Maddie and Ben quickly picked up the pronounciation, but they are using it more for laughs. Jon, however, has learned to frown really hard, stare into your eyes, and sternly say "NOoo!" It isn't really two sylables, but it gets drawn out longer the more he means it. It is quite funny because he sounds like an adult saying it, but he is clearly just a little kid. If we take his food away because he was playing, "NOoo!" If Ben takes away the book Jon was reading, "NOoo!" If Maddie pokes him or leans in to bite, "NOoooooo!" If Allen takes his toothbrush away and he isn't ready to give it up, "NOooo!" If I tell him it's time for a new diaper and put him up on the changing table, "NOooo!" and he swatted my hand!

Since we're on the subject of defiant toddlers, here's a followup on some previous stories. . .

Diapers: Jon and Ben take their diapers off when they are bored. We started putting pajama pants on them under the other outfits and that worked for awhile. Then they learned to unsnap and take off all their clothes. Last week, I found a huge mess when Jon took it all off then tore it all to shreds. Mom called me and suggested I tape the diapers so the boys couldn't take them off. So I did.

Day 1 went okay.

Day 2: somehow one of the pieces of tape twisted a little so the sticky part got caught on the inside of his (I forget whose?) shirt. I noticed a funky kid dance happening and realized he (was it Ben?) figured out how to wiggle enough that the tape turned inside out, stuck to his shirt, and came off the diaper.

Day 3: I learned the only way to keep the tape from getting loose was to wrap it all the way around the baby's waist so the tape-end was stuck on tape rather than the diaper. First, I taped Jon. I started by somewhat centering the long strip over the diaper tabs and smoothing it down. Then I turned him on his side so I could wrap one end to the back. Then turned him the other way to get the other end down. It worked great! Jon had been easy to get along with for that, so I was happy -- this would be easy.

Next, I changed Ben and tore off the 18-20 inches of packing tape for his diaper. If you haven't met Ben, you need to know he is only still if he is asleep. I centered the tape and smoothed it over the frount tabs. I tried turning him to his side, but he thought I was tickling him and he giggled and squirmed. When I got him calm again, I decided I'd try to put him on his tummy and do both sides at once. When I picked him up, the changing pad came with him -- I had taped my kid to the changing table. I tried to make that tape work by taking the changing pad off the tape, but the other end stuck to his clothes. By the time I got it all straightened out, half was twisted and the other half was no longer sticky. I got another strip of tape and tried again -- somehow, we finally got it on.

Sunday, Allen went to get the kids up from their naps and Ben was laying on his blanket . . .on the floor . . . and from the look of his face, he landed on it. He broke out of the tent. I put Jon in the crib Ben got out of, and put Ben in Jon's bed. No one has gotten out yet. I am hoping this holds them for a little longer. I am not ready to deal with keeping more kids in real beds yet.

It's been a busy week so far. Sunday we met friends from college at the East Texas Arboretum and had a great time watching all the kids play. We even survived a short hike through the woods with everyone walking (most of the way, at least.) We introduced Will to letterboxing and he thought it was cool to hunt treasures like a pirate. It took some explaining when he wondered where the gold was, though. I have no idea what happened Monday (there wasn't one this week, anyway, right?) Tuesday was a school-day for Will, the babies stayed in the church nursery while I went to Bible study, then we had lunch with Allen, and went to a store before getting Will from school. Today is one of the two days a month I take the babies to a mother's-day-out program. Will and I try to do fun things that are more challenging for me to do with all four kids.

Today, we met a friend at the "science touch-museum," as Will has dubbed it. We enjoyed it so much this summer, that this time, I just bought the family membership -- I know we'll get our money's worth and I like knowing the money will be used to help teach the kids about science. The kids played for about three hours till we called it quits and went for lunch. I picked up the Maddie, Ben & Jon and now all four kids are sound asleep for a little while anyway.

Tomorrow is another school day for Will, but I plan to come home for the day. I have laundry to do and bags to pack for the weekend. Allen and the kids are going to his parents' while I go up to Kansas for a crop at Chasing Rainbows. I haven't scrapped for months, but I am excited to get to see everyone I've missed. Starting now, for the next fifteen minutes I am going to go shut my eyes.

No comments: