September 26, 1993.I was a high school junior at the Texas Academy of Math & Science, and had been there for just a few weeks. I was still learning which name went with which faces. There was one face that caught my attention a bit more than all the others, and I had no trouble remembering his name was Allen. We were both members of the environmental club and we had done a service project building trails at a nature center that weekend. I got to know Allen a little bit on that outing. That evening there was a dance at the dorm -- the kind set up by the older students so everyone could meet each other before we got further into the school year. I danced with Allen and he kissed me the first time that night.
Here it is fifteen years after that first kiss, and his kisses still can give me goosebumps. Through the crazy turns of life, we have stuck together, side by side. After dating for several years, we got engaged in 1997, and married in September 1999. That 11th grade romance has come a long way -- 2 high school graduations, 3 college diplomas, 6 cities, countless apartments and dorm rooms, 3 homes, 3 cars, 4 pets, 3 fake Christmas trees, travel to 22 states and 5 foreign countries. Some of our biggest challenges have been presented by the best things to happen to us: our 4 beautiful children.
Allen has been the apple of my eye for almost half my life. Some days it seems like it hasn't been that long, other days it feels like it's been longer. He is, without a doubt, my very best friend. Although we've had our rough moments, I still feel like I'm living in a romantic fairy tale -- with the happily ever after. He is my dream come true, and I hope one day my children each find someone to love them as much Allen and I love each other.
Allen, I love you. Thanks for more than 15,000 kisses!
6 comments:
Congratulations to you both! I don't remember your kiss, but I do remember that dance. I believe Brian (the RA) was the DJ and I was trying not to have to dance. A long time ago... I think it's great how many of us met our love during TAMS and are still together!
Dangnabbit! You topped me! I was gonna call you and remind you what today was but I see you've already beaten me to the punch - and expressed our MUTUAL feelings in your wonderful way. I love you so much and appreciate you more every day.
Can't wait to see you soon!
Congrats chica!! That is a cute story of you two... and I see allen has commented... how cute!!
See you soon?! Yeah?!
Congrats! What a sweet story!
Oh, how sweet! Congratulations on surviving all of that and still getting goosebumps when you kiss!
I never realized you met Allen so early in the year. Wow! What a great story... congrats!
Post a Comment