Friday, September 19, 2008

Maple-Dijon Vinaigrette

I've experimented and come up with a tasty salad dressing. The recipe was created by me but inspired by the dressing we had at Stone Mountain Art Center in Brownsfield, Maine.

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup maple syrup (use real maple syrup even though it costs more than the maple-flavored syrup)
4 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
1 green onion - minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (use black pepper if you don't already have white)

I put all the ingredients in a bottle and shook it until it was well blended. I have no idea how long it will last in the fridge. . . ours will last about two salad nights. We had it over the following:

bag salad - pick your favorite, we like the baby greens or spring salad
tomatoes - diced
onion - sliced
cucumber - diced
carrots - cut to matchstick size
pineapple - chunks (since I had them leftover and needing to be eaten)
dried cranberries
dried blueberries
walnuts
sunflower seeds

blue cheese crumbles (since it can't ALL be healthy AND still taste great)
chicken - I had some baked that we cut into strips and put on top of the fruit and veggies.

It was not the exact salad we had at the theater, but it made for a great meal. There is something about the different textures -- crunchy seed and nuts, chewy dried fruit, crispy veggies, soft tomatoes and cheese -- that just works with the sweet but tangy dressing. Let me know if you like it or if you find a way to improve it.

No comments: