Monday, January 5, 2009

Resolutions

Honestly, I try to stick to resolutions. Well, I guess I can say that, but what I mean is each time January 1st rolls around, I use it as an opportunity to improve myself and my surroundings. Since some of the definitions of RESOLUTION include 1. The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination; 2. A resolving to do something; and 3. A course of action determined or decided on, I suppose I really have made some resolutions.

First off, I am determined to have more structure in my days -- mostly, this is for the kids, but I often have so much on a list to do, that I whiddle away a little at everything, but never get done what I wanted to accomplish. Each day, I want to have certain things that will be done. I don't want to go to sleep at night thinking about the fact that I didn't read to my kids enough that day or that I didn't nurture their minds enough. My priority right now is to be a mama, not a maid. Although I still need to take care of our home, I need to focus more on my children than the cobwebs. . . . isn't there a poem along those lines?

Secondly, I want to make time to nurture me. Not just taking time for me, but actually filling my cup. I have a ladies' Bible study that begins next week that will "make" me sit down each day and refill my spiritual cup. I am loving the dance class that Allen and I are taking together, and I plan to continue my exercise routines to fill my physical cup. Now I need to find some good reads, and get back to scrapbooking regularly -- nothing rejuvenates me like filling my creative cup.

Thirdly though fiftiethly :) -- all the house projects I want to do. Rather than being overwhelmed by the L O N G to-do list, I listed what I wanted to accomplish this year. Now I am working on spreading them out for a slow-but-steady approach. I want to get the toys under control (they are taking over the house and it is beyond ridiculous), I want to paint and decorate a room for Maddie, then decorate the little boys' room (I know we will soon be out of cribs), I want to get something done with the garden and landscaping, I want to get all my recipes and addresses organized, and I need to empty my closet of everything I don't need anymore. The list sounds long already, but with one big project a month, I am sure it will get done.

Today, being the first Monday of the new year was the best day to start our "structured" days. After the kids and I ate breakfast, we sat on the floor and watched Jon have a tantrum. After he sat in my lap he calmed down for a minute until he realized he couldn't see the pictures in the book I was reading to the kids. When I sat him on the floor wo he could see, we had to take another break to watch another tantrum. I tried reading through and just ignoring him, but I couldn't even hear the story myself. When we got through a few stories, we sang and danced. Then we sat at the table and colored while Will worked on some worksheets and a collage. After about an hour and a half of "structure" the little ones were ready for playing on their own terms. I wasn't going to argue, so the kids all played while I sorted through some of the recipe pile (heading toward organization and a grocery list.) That got us through lunch time and now it is naptime. Tomorrow Will has school again, then we have MOPS on Wednesdays, and on Thursday we start another new venture. At the same church Will goes to preschool, there is a mother's day out program. I've signed two little kids up for that. Each week, I will alternate which two little ones go. The third toddler will get to spend the day with me. I am looking forward to getting to know my children and see how they act differently when they aren't around the others. Except for rare quick trips to the store with Allen or me, the triplets are not ever apart from each other. Will still gets every other Wednesday with me, and now the triplets will each get a day or two a month, too. I hope to use those days to have fun, teach them one-on-one, and run some errands.

Since the kids are still napping. I'm going to go work on getting the house presentable for the sitter tonight. I am really looking forward to learning a new dance -- mambo!

No comments: