Thursday, July 24, 2008

Birthdays, Vacations, and Chicken in a Bag

In a Bag. . . that's my theme for the day. Somedays I do just a little bit here and there and don't feel very, well, accomplished. I know, I know, I can just look at my children and feel accomplished, . . . but only if they are sleeping (hehehe). Today, I am feeling accomplished. I have just received four emails stating that my packages are on the way. What packages? The birthday gifts for the triplets, the birthday gift for my niece, the birthday gift for Will, and a Christmas gift for my niece. Seeing that I won't need any of wrapped until October, November, and December, I feel really great. Yup, the gifts are in the mail. . . soon to be in the bag.

I have also found time to finish planning our vacations. Allen and I are heading to New Hampshire and Maine for our anniversary. The flights and B&B are booked, but I need to get tickets for a bluegrass concert and for a scenic rail trip. I have everything I need to do that & I am hoping for a few quiet minutes at naptime to accomplish that. It seems when I pick up a telephone, all h3ll breaks loose: the house bricks start falling, someone makes me think an ER trip is in the planning stages, and the dog starts hacking up little toys or loose change. So, I am hopeful about the phone calls, but realistically, it may not happen until Allen is home. New England vacation. . . in the bag.

We have been planning another trip for October, and I finally made a decision and booked the hotel. The flights are arranged, and now I need to make the phone calls for dinner reservations. Cross your fingers or pray that we can get the ones we want. I am not sharing all the details yet, but I need to go find my Mouseket-EARS. DON'T TELL WILL! The things that haven't been done yet, well, they don't matter a whole lot. We know we are going, we have a way to get there, and we have a place to stay. Everything else can work itself out, even if it isn't what we had in mind. Secret trip . . . in the bag.

Here is a favorite meal of ours. It is uncreatively named Chicken in a bag. This is another recipe that is in my Super Suppers cookbook. It has my doodled stars all over it – yes, I LOVE this recipe. It is full of flavor and is so easy to put together. When we do meal prep days we do everything except cook it. Just be sure to put it in another bag, too, so the roasting bag doesn’t get torn in the freezer. When you are ready to have it, thaw chicken in the refrigerator for two days then proceed with cooking directions. Change it up by using your favorite spices; we’ve enjoyed adding juniper berries, rosemary, oregano, or basil, I forget what else -- if you like it, just try it.

Roasted Chicken (6-8 servings)

1 5-7 lb. roaster chicken
2 TB. Vegetable oil
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. black pepper
1 large oven cooking bag
1 16-oz bag of peeled baby carrots
1 lb. new potatoes (small red potatoes) – use the ones in the produce section, not canned
1 12-oz package of celery sticks
1 large onion, sliced
½ C. chicken stock

Preheat oven to 350 F. Rinse cavity of chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Prepare cooking bag according to manufacturer’s directions. Place chicken in bag. Rub outside of chicken with oil, sprinkle on salt, thyme, and pepper. Surround chicken with carrots, potatoes, celery, and onions. Add stock to bag and close bag according to manufacturer’s directions. Place cooking bag with chicken and veggies on large baking sheet. Bake for 1 ½ hours until chicken reaches 160F, the remove from oven. Let chicken rest 10 minutes before cutting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be at the Happiest Place on Earth in October as well - Oct. 8 thru Oct. 13 - with my best friend and her family, Tiana (6) and goddaughter Ainsley (20 months). If you are there at the same time, it would be fun to see you and Alan and meet the kids. We are staying at the Contemporary.

You are way brave to tackle DW with Will and the triplets. The adults will outnumber the kids by one on my trip - are you bringing any reinforcements?