Monday, July 21, 2008

Pot au Feu Recipe

I am not sure why this wasn't just called a stew, but maybe because a stew simmers and this is boiled. Nonetheless, it made a tasty dish. I checked out a cookbook called the 8-Week Cholesterol Cure because we are trying to pay more attention to what we are eating and the effects it has on our health. This is a French boiled dinner, and I just liked saying I was finally making something French (other than toast or fries). This recipe is what I did based on one in that book.

Pot au feu (6 servings)

1 bag baby carrots, cut in half (1" long)
2 turnips, peeled and cut into 1" chunks (rutabaga would work, too, if you can't find turnips)
2 C. shredded cabbage (I used slaw mix)
2 onion, cut into 8 wedges each
1 leek, washed and cut into 1" lengths
1/2 tsp dried thyme (or more to taste)
1 14-oz can stewed tomatoes
1/2 lb. smoked ham (96% fat-free) , cut into 1/2" chucks
1/2 lb. lean stew beef, cut into 1/2" chunks
2 C. cooked navy beans (or drained canned beans)
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
pepper
1/2 C. chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 qts. chicken broth

In a large pot, put everything except the beans, chicken, pepper and fresh parsley. Cover with broth. Slowly bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hour, adding water to keep level constant. Add beans and chicken and simmer until shicken is done (around 10 minutes). Season with pepper and stir in parsley.

This recipe had enough prep work that we doubled it, but then I had to use two pots to cook it. If you are used to a regular beef stew, this isn't that much different since the turnips or rutabagas have the consistency and taste similar to a potato but not as starchy. It was a nice change for us, and it was easy to feed the babies by just giving them the veggies and meat without the "soupy" parts.

No comments: