Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Independence Day!

I couldn't resist the pretty American flag dress I found for Maddie. Then, of course, guilt set in, and I bought outfits for all the boys, too. So I had little Mr. Americas and little Miss America and I HAD to get photos. The best smile we got from Jon was when we all made funny faces, but that won't be posted because Allen and I looked rediculous. Will is the tall blonde (age 4 1/2), the babies are 20 months. Jon is wearing the white, Ben the navy, and Maddie is in the pigtails and dress.
It was a wonderful day! The kids splashed in a pool for awhile, then we tried to get everyone to nap before the parade (failed attempt). At 5, we went and watched Papa in the parade. The kids enjoyed it and the adults prayed the storm would wait until the end. The thunder and firetruck sirens drowned out any yelps of joy my kids may have had, but Will waved enthusiastically at the paraders, and the little ones watched and pointed the noisy line of cars and wagons while they stuffed animal crackers in their mouths. The raindrops started falling while we headed back to the car. We waited out the storm in the UNquiet of home while the guys did the grilling. After dinner, the babies were so tired we cleaned them up and put them in bed. Allen's parents stayed with them while Jason and Jenn and Allen and I took Will back for the Melissa festivities. Will got to sit in a firetruck, check out a medivac chelicopter, play in the bounce house, and try out some of the inflatable obstacle courses. We sat and watched a great fireworks display, but I was disappointed not to get to hear the Star Spangled Banner. I love to hear that song and it always brings tears to my eyes because it remeinds me how very blessed I am to be an American! After the show, we walked back to the car and Will was in for an awesome surprise. . . the helicopter was taking off right in front of us. Thankfully we thought to stand behind a fence so we didn't get hit by the orange cones that blew around when it lifted, but we still had to cover our eyes to keep the sand out. To Will, it was "AWESOME!"

No comments: