Thursday, August 21, 2008

Kaiser Spawn Unleashed

The last few days have been busy enough I've had trouble making time to blog, so here is the quick update. Tuesday it rained all day again, and after coloring paper, the kitchen table, and the tile floor, we gave up on the crayons being the entertainment. The kids and I were ready to climb the walls, but, alas, Daddy came home to save us from the whining. Why don't they whine when Daddy's here? Or is it just that I can tune them out knowing he will hear if there are any emergencies?

Wednesday was fun. Our MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group went to the local children's museum. I invited some other ladies, too. One friend I met last week at the muliples meeting and she came with her boy & girl twins who are about the same age as the triplets. Allen has a new co-worker who just moved here with his family and his wife and three kids came, too. Plus I knew several moms from the MOPS group. Knowing I had a bit of a support team onhand, I took all four kids without the wagon. The little ones were tethered just for a little while. Since I hadn't been to the museum before, I wasn't sure how the layout would work with keeping up with all four if they weren't attached to me. Luckily, a lady I knew from Bible Study introduced Will to her kids and she helped me keep an eye on him while he played with kids his age. The room was set up so that between two of us we could keep the five kids in view (twins and triplets), so I left the purse and backpacks on, but took the leashes off and let the kids explore. I was surprised how well it went. For the most part, it was like herding sheep -- they stayed together, and we could block the escape routes. When Maddie and Ben decided they were too tired to walk, I fetched the train, and I pulled them while Jon continued exploring. Will's favorite part was the pretend TV station -- he liked being the director and deciding whether it was time to have cameras at the news table or the cooking show. He also got a kick out of the grocery store and bank in the pretend town. It was almost all hands-on stuff, a couple of enormous playrooms. People commented on how well-behaved the triplets were -- they either played nicely or sat calmly in the wagon. After days like Tuesday, sometimes, it's nice to go out so people can remind me how good I have it. We were there about 3 hours and decided to leave when my stomach growling was waking Ben who was sitting in the wagon with his head bobbing as he dozed. Will got to decide what was for lunch since he was so well-behaved so we hit McDonalds, no surprises there. The rest of the afternoon, Will napped, and I tried to get the little ones to, also. After too much playing in the nursery, I went in and laid down on the floor between cribs (to show them what I wanted them to do.) Ben was in a different crib yet I watched him use his feet rather creatively to shimmy up the wide slats of the crib. He didn't get out, but he hung over the side by his waist and knocked the blinds back and forth. My curiosity wore out and I told him no. He giggled, of course.

Today, we went and met Will's preschool teacher. School starts next week for him, but today was just an introduction day. Lucky for him, he already knew who she was, and he knows many of the kids in his class from last year. His eyes sparkled when he smiled after sounding out Ella's name from the nametags. On the way home Will asked me, "Do you think Ella will be my girlfriend now that we are four and a half?" How do you answer that, I wonder.

When we got home Will went to rest and the little kids played while I checked my email. Most of the time I could see them, but I suspected something was going on when I heard a funny noise. I went into the playroom and no one was there. Ben had opened the bathroom door and they all went in. When I arrived Ben was on top of the toilet tank lining up the rubber ducks from the bathtub. Jon was sitting on a potty chair pulling dirty clothes from the hamper and putting them on himself. Maddie had a toilet seat around her neck like a necklace while she stood inside the bowl of another potty chair. They were all beaming -- so proud of their accomplishments.

I am such a proud mama. . . and all three are in their cribs now (at least they were a few minutes ago.)

No comments: