If anyone had told me that yesterday's post title, Princess Diarreahs, would be an appropriate title for the way the day turned out, I would have laughed. As it turned out it brought a few tears and I didn't find it funny at all . . . until today.
Yesterday I posted while the kids were all supposed to be napping. The triplets are in the stage between needing 2 naps and only needing 1. Most afternoons I put them in their cribs and they each snooze a short time, but spend the rest of the time poking each other and giggling. Yesterday, after several sniggers and tehees, I heard Maddie break out in a scream that Wes Craven should have paid for. It wasn't the norm, so I ran to see what what going on. The stench hit me at the top of the stairs and I braced my stomach for what I knew would not be pretty. Maddie has been teething and has a diaper rash, so I wasn't too surprised that she took off the dirty diaper. What surprised me was that she was still letting out the blood-curdling scream as her face was frozen in terror. I was confused and worried. What could be so bad?!
As I held my breath and approached her, she didn't look relieved. Jon looked up at me with a concerned look, and Ben stood in the corner of his crib chewing his fingers non-chalantly. Clue 1. As I looked around I realized the loaded diaper in Maddie's crib was surrounded my muddy little footprints on the sheets. Then I noticed Ben's shirt looked funny -- Clue 2. Yup, Ben was the one, as if I really needed to wonder about that. Smart little kid, terrorizing his sis. He took his diaper off, smeared around the goods in his bed, was disguested with the smells, so he chucked into her bed. No wonder she was screaming, I was ready to do the same and it wasn't even MY beauty rest that was disturbed. Unfortunately, all three kids had thrown their blankies in a pile on the floor and Ben, undiapered, whizzed on them all.
I frowned and looked at Ben. He giggled and I sternly said, "NOT FUNNY!" He looked at me with his big brown eyes and let out a barely-audible "Uh-oh?" I scooped Maddie up, washed her feet, checked her for more mess, changed her, declared her clean and banished from the nursery. I changed Jon and banished him. I cringed when I picked up Ben -- I really don't get this obsession with poop, it was all over him, caked in the folds of his pudgy neck, in his armpits, on his cheek, under his fingernails, between his toes. I took off his outfit and threw it back in the crib while I rushed him to the bathtub. He kept shaking his no-no finger at me telling me, "Pooo? Yuck! Pooo? Yuck-yuck! No-no!" So at least he understood the situation. After he was clean and smelling sweet, he was banished from the nursery and I got to work. All three blankets, two sets of nasty sheets, and Ben's outfit - piled into a heap, one little spot to hold on to until I got them all shoved in the washing machine. Since the load wasn't completely dried before bedtime, we had lots of tears. They all wailed until the dryer buzzed and the fresh, cozy blankets were delivered with extra kisses and hugs.
What can I look forward to today?
4 comments:
Is it evil that i find humor in your eventful days!! Really are you sane still?! You sound so lighthearted... gosh I love you girl!! Miss you too!!
Aja
Not evil . . .I can find the humor after I cool down and get the smells out. I think that's how I stay sane. Don't be mistaken, though, my insane days don't get posted just my crazy ones. This is normal life for me.
Oh my... I don't know how you do it!
By the way, wanted to tell you that the advice about layering crib sheets and waterproof mattress pads is genius!
Wow...you are a good good woman (and mom)! Yep...I'm still not ready :)
Diane
Post a Comment